NoteThe government of this country requests the use of it's Portuguese name, Cabo Verde, in all languages, and all international dealings, no matter the case.
|“||But Cabo, how can tu be verde if tu is azul?||”|
|“||Wake up comrades, October rains don't exist.||”|
— A poet from this countryball
Azul Verdeball (Portuguese name), better known as Cape Verdeball (English name), officially the Republic of Cabo Verdeball, is a countryball whose clay is located off the northwestern coast of Africa. As of 2021, they have a population of 555987, and 4033 square kilometers of clay, making them the 127th most populous, and the 167th largest country in Earthball.
They speak fluent Portuguese, due to the fact that they were discovered and colonized by Portugalball. They are hardly ever relevant, which has led to them being mistaken with EUball and Costa Ricaball, which is great because people never would guess they're actually a breeding ground for hurricanes. This is ironic, as their name literally translates to Green Cape in Portuguese.
Before the arrival of Europeans, Cabo Verdeball was uninhabited. It was discovered by Genoese and Portuguese navigators around 1456. In 1462, Portuguese settlers arrived at Santiago and founded a settlement they called Ribeira Grandeball. Today it is called Cidade Velhaball ("Old City"), to distinguish it from a town of the same name on a different island of the countryball (Ribeira Grandeball on the island of Santo Antão). The original Ribeira Grandeball was the first permanent European settlement in the tropics. In the 16th century, the countryball prospered from the Atlantic slave trade. Pirates occasionally attacked the Portuguese settlements. Francis Drake, the famous English privateer, twice sacked the then capital Ribeira Grandeball in 1585 when it was a part of the Iberian Unionball. After a French attack in 1712, the town declined in importance relative to nearby Praiaball, which became the capital in 1770. Decline in the slave trade in the 19th century resulted in an economic crisis. However, the countryball's position in the mid-Atlantic shipping lanes made Cabo Verdeball an ideal location for re-supplying ships. Because of its excellent harbour, the city of Mindeloball, located on the island of São Vicente, became an important commercial centre during the 19th century. Cabo Verdeball was the first stop of Charles Darwin's voyage with HMS Beagle in 1832. In 1956, Amílcar Cabral and a group of fellow Cabo Verdeans and Guineans organized (in Portuguese Guineaball) the clandestine African Party for the Independence of Guinea and Cabo Verde (PAIGC). It demanded improvement in economic, social and political conditions in Portuguese Cabo Verdeball and Portuguese Guineaball and formed the basis of the two countryballs' independence movement. Moving its headquarters to Conakryball, Guineaball in 1960, the PAIGC began an armed rebellion against Second Portuguese Republicball in 1961. By 1972, the PAIGC controlled much of Portuguese Guineaball despite the presence of the Portuguese troops, but the organization did not attempt to disrupt Portuguese control in Cabo Verdeball. Amílcar Cabral was unfortunately assassinated in 1973. Following the April 1974 revolution in Portugalball, the PAIGC became an active political movement in Cabo Verdeball. On 30 June 1975, Cabo Verdeans elected a National Assembly which received the instruments of independence from Portugalball on 5 July 1975.
After independance and present-day Cabo Verdeball
When it first gained independence, PAIGC tried to unite Guinea-Bissauball and Cabo Verdeball. This can be seen in the first flag and anthem of Cabo Verdeball, with the flag almost identical to Guinea-Bissauball`s and the anthem being the exact same with Guinea-Bissauball`s. The constitution right before Guinea-Bissauball`s coup even said that they were two bodies with one heart.
Immediately following the November 1980 coup in Guinea-Bissauball, relations between Cabo Verdeball and Guinea-Bissauball became strained. Cabo Verdeball abandoned its hope for unity with Guinea-Bissauball and formed the African Party for the Independence of Cabo Verde (PAICV). Problems have since been resolved and relations between the countries are good. PAICV and its predecessor established a one-party system and ruled Cabo Verdeball from independence until 1990.
The first multi-party elections were held in January 1991. The MpD won a majority of the seats in the National Assembly, and MpD presidential candidate António Mascarenhas Monteiro defeated the PAICV's candidate with 73.5% of the votes. Legislative elections in December 1995 increased the MpD majority in the National Assembly. The party won 50 of the National Assembly's 72 seats.
In February 2001, the PAICV-supported presidential candidate Pedro Pires defeated former MpD leader Carlos Veiga by only 13 votes. Pedro Pires later won the Mo Ibrahim Prize in 2011 for having a peaceful transition and only serving for 8 years.
In 2005, it said that it wants to join EUball, but there is no formal request yet. Still, it is the first Sub-Saharan African countryball
Although its latitude is situated between the Sahara and the Sahel to try to do so.
In October 2021, opposition candidate and former prime minister, Jose Maria Neves of PAICV, won Cabo Verde's presidential election. On 9 November 2021, Jose Maria Neves was sworn in as the new President of Cabo Verde.
Because of its distance from the mainland, it has many different personality traits from other West African countryballs, but still has similarities. For example, it has no interest in Jollof rice and the Kora, and wanted to join EUball. Likewise, it also has similar personality traits with some European countryball with many differences. WIP
- Portugalball - Parent.
- Angolaball - Sibling.
- East Timorball - A sibling from Asia Free from the bully. Also a hater of translators.
- Guinea-Bissauball - Former besties. Went our separate ways after November 1980. (TU SHOULD HAVE REMOVED VIEIRA. HE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CIVIL WAR.)
- São Tomé and Príncipeball - Island sibling also in Atlantic Ocean.
- South Africaball - I let them fly over my clay and one of my airports is named after his former president.
- UKball - Former customer.
Kind of a flag stealer since can into red stripe with white outline and since eu counted Iceland, eu shouldings of counts them too.
- Franceball - Another former customer.
- Brazilball - Gives food. Also is a sibling. HUEHUEHUEHUE
- African Unionball - Helps with economy. Also meu second president participated in drafting its human rights charter. But nothing much else.
- Chinaball - I let them do fishing in my water.
- EUball - Sort of my friend. I wish I could join in the future!
- 8ball - Ancestor. Sorry for slave trade.
- 2ball - Another ancestor.
- 7/5 - Is of very different from me, but the only thing that matters is that our birthday is both July 5th! But please don`t hate Moroccoball.
- Mauritiusball, Seychellesball - They are also small islands and very developed like me. They can also into own time zone name like me, too. I sometimes envy them because they are in the same ocean with each other.
- USAball - A good friend even before independence. We traded a lot in the past and helped me during a lot of hard times. Also recognized me right after independence. And houses a lot of meu diaspora and also sends meteorologists to meu clay. Gib tourism plox.
- Massachusettsball - A lot of diaspora here.
- Senegalball - One of the few mainlanders that cares about me aside from my family. Helped eu in colonial times. But why support Vieira?
- Nigeriaball - Eu opened embassy to be good friends.
- Côte d'Ivoireball - We both hate translators and we can both into beating Cameroonball.
- Moroccoball - We are the only Africans that want to join EUball. But please don`t hate Algeriaball.
- Venezuelaball - We share the same birthday, but Eu will send Alex Saab to USAball.
- Kosovoball - Sorry but I don't recognise yuo. Is of waitings until U.N. Security Council reaches of agreement. Does not of means I hate yuo though.
- Costa Ricaball, Thailandball, Icelandball and North Koreaball - FLAG STEALERS!!!!!
- Argentinaball - I am not Asian!! Mistaking my continent just because I`m irrelevant is not right!!
- Cameroonball (Only in soccer) - Eu beat tu 2 times in 2013 and 2021 with eu scoring two goals more! Tu cannot into winning eu without a legendary soccer player!
- João Bernardo Vieira - THE ABSOLUTE WORST. HOW DARE YUO REMOVE LUÍS CABRAL BECAUSE HE IS OF MEU DECENT AND ALSO START TO HATE EU!
- Fogo island has a large volcano called Pico do Fogo. Its highest point is 2829 meters (9281.49 feet), making it the highest point of Cabo Verdeball and all of West Africa. This means that the smallest countryball in West Africa also has the highest point. The island has the second-most prominent mountain in the country.
- They have the oldest Catholic church in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- The flag before 1992 was and meant to be very similar to Guinea-Bissauball`s flag. Both came from the PAIGC flag.
- Although its temperature is very hospitable, some scholars say that its clay is impossible for having a self-sustaining human society. Approximately only 10-11% of Cabo Verdeball's clay is suitable for agriculture despite being volcanic in origin, and it is a very dry countryball with a desert climate. It caused a lot of droughts throughout history. Some killed about a quarter of its population, and some were caused by complete failure of rain.
- Only one out of Cabo Verdeball's 10 major islands isn't inhabited.
- Santo Antão is the second-largest island in the countryball's clay. The island is popular with hikers as it provides the perfect terrain for the hikers to test their endurance and skills on a vertical isle that is ruptured with canyons, valleys, and gorges.
- Ponta Chao de Mongrade of the island is the westernmost point in Afro-Eurasia.
- Cabo Verdeball has a town in their clay named Cidade Velha. It is located south of the island of Santiago, the 3rd most southern island in Cabo Verdeball's clay. It was the first European colonial outpost in the tropics. It is also home to a cultural UNESCO World Heritage site.
- It is estimated that Cabo Verdeball has one goat for every two people.
- In the World Press Freedom Index in 2014, Cabo Verdeball was listed second highest spot among African countryballs, only behind Namibiaball.
- The countryballs only ranked one spot apart. Namibiaball was 22nd, and Cabo Verdeball was 24th. The countryball that ranked between them was Belgiumball.
- Pedro Pires, the first prime minister and third president of Cabo Verdeball, won a Mo Ibrahim prize on 2011.
- They are the most LGBT-friendly countryball in Africa according to Afrobarometer. About 80% of citizens surveyed said that they wouldn`t mind having an LGBT neighbor, which is the highest number in all of Africa.
- Most people living in Cabo Verdeball have European ancestry, and it is the African countryball with the most European ancestry, being 44% European.
- Oddly, if the incumbent president served more than 7 years, the president`s party always loses the presidential election in this countryball.
- Cabo Verdeball, in 2007, became the second and only countryball after Botswanaball to have graduated from UNball's list of Least Developed Countries (LDCs).
- Botswanaball graduated in 1994.
- Confusingly, Cabo Verdeball has both a President and Prime Minister ruling their clay. The President is the head of state and the Prime Minister is the head of the government.
- There is only one non-marine mammal native to Cabo Verdeball's clay, which is the long-eared bat (here is a picture).
- Their clay is a popular tourist destination. In fact, a whopping 195,163 tourists visited the archipelago in the first quarter of 2017 alone.
- There are seven operational airports in Cabo Verdeball's clay. There is only one proper airport which is over 3,047 metres (9996.72 feet) in length.
- According to World Bank’s 2007 report, Cabo Verdrball's clay has 73 cars for every 1000 people.
|Dark Power Blue||0, 50, 149||100, 66, 0, 42||#003295|
|Philippine red||209, 19, 30||0, 91, 86, 18||#D1131E|
|White||255, 255, 255||0, 0, 0, 0||#FFFFFF|
|Yellow||255, 209, 0||0, 18, 100, 0||#FFD100|
How to Draw
- Draw a circle
- Color it this blue
- In the middle, draw white line
- Under it, draw line in this red
- And again a white line
- Then blue line
- Add 10 stars in the circle in this yellow
- Draw eyes
|Zone A||Cabo Verdeball • Gambiaball • Guinea-Bissauball • Guineaball • Liberiaball • Maliball • Senegalball • Sierra Leoneball|
|Zone B||Beninball • Burkina Fasoball • Côte d'Ivoireball • Ghanaball • Nigerball • Nigeriaball • Togoball|
|UEMOA members in italics. WAMZ members in bold. Suspended members in red.|