|“||Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone that which is its due.||”|
— Justinian I
|“||Actually just half of it, the other half is fine. But it's not in Rome anymore so let's give it a new name.||”|
— bill wurtz
Byzantineball, also known as the Byzantiumball, the Eastern Roman Empireball or Byzantine Empireball, and
Byzantine Caesarindomball is a Medieval countryball that occupied the Balkans and the Middle East as well as North Africa and what is today Italy at some point with the glory of Rome.
He was the successor of SPQRball since West Roman empireball was defeated.
Eastern Roman Empireball was formed after Constantine I the Great shifted the capital of SPQRball from Rome to the ancient city of Byzantium. Constantine then renamed this city Constantinople and also gained a new set of prestigous titles, such as "New Rome (Nova Roma)", "Second Rome (Roma Secunda)", "Basileuousa (Queen of Cities)", "Megalopolis (the Great City)", "Tsargrad (Slavic name of Constantinople)" and more.
When the Western Roman Empireball finally collapsed in 476 and Rome was captured by some barbarians, the East was still stable and thus, didn't completely collapsed by some hungry people like the Sassanidsball and the Germanic tribes.
Between 502-506, a war erupted between them and their old arch-nemesis, the Sassanids. Despite giving the Sassanids a good fight, they were forced to pay them 1,000 pounds of gold.
In 527, Justinian I ascended to the throne. He dreamed of reuniting the Roman Empire into one single entity. He however, needs to deal with the pesky Sassanids who wanted to flex their muscles and capture Dara. Just like their previous fight, despite giving their best, they were forced to pay 11,000 pounds of gold.
With the eastern frontier now secured, Justinian dispatched its army to reconquer the west. This armies were led by some of its best generals, which includes Mundus, Narses and of course, Belisarius. By 555, Eastern Rome achieved their apex.
All good things must come to end however, as after Justinian's death, the empire was attacked in multiple fronts. In Spain, the Visigoths halted the Byzantine advance and recaptured a lot of settlements. In Italy, the Lombards invaded and overran the weak force of Byzantines stationed there. In the Balkans, the Avars, Slavs and later, the Bulgars pillaged cities and towns. And in the east, war with the Persians raged on. In 582, the Emperor Maurice mobilized an army and defeated the Avars and Slavs. However, it made the empire bankrupt and Maurice ordered its troops he left to campaign in the winter. Instead of campaigning, the troops mutinied and Phocas, the leader, deposed Maurice and executed him and proclaimed himself emperor. Since the shah, Khosrow II was a close friend of Maurice, this started a 26-year long war against the Sassanian Persians. Despite the Romans being kicked by the Persians, Heraclius, a son of the exarch of Africa, deposed Phocas, executed him, proclaimed himself emperor and started a counteroffensive, which saw the Byzantines using the powerful uno reverse card against the Sassanians. Heraclius also forged an alliance with the Gokturks and their new Turkic buddy also kicked the Sassanians. Heraclius then besieged Ctesiphon for the 6th and final time(the Romans besieged the city for 5 times) and the Sassanians, with no other choice, executed Khosrow and installed Kavadh II as the new shah. Kavadh signed a humiliating treaty with Heraclius, which reversed all Sassanian gains, pay a war indemnity, return all prisoners of war and of course, return the holy relics captured during the Sack of Jerusalem.
Despite reversing all Sassanian gains, both empires were exhausted during the war. In 632, just a few years after hostilities ceased, a new empire emerged in the Middle East and that was the Rashidunball. The kebabs managed to destroy both the Sassanian and Byzantine armies in multiple battles, in which the Arabs turned Persia into kebab while the Byzantines ultimately survived.
Also, Latin was dying and was replaced by Greek on the orders of Hercalius in 610. With this end, Latin died within the Roman Empire and the existing Roman titles were replaced in Greek(example, Augustus was renamed to Sebastos, Caesar to Kaisar, Imperator to Autokrator, and many more). They also introduced many other titles.
Despite all this setbacks, the Romans got back on their feet and managed to slap back their enemies, especially the kebabs and the Bulgarians, whose Tsar Simeon repeatedly defeated the Romans in many battles. It was finally under the Macedonian Dynasty that the Byzantine Empire reached their apex(medieval version), stretching from the Balkans in the west to the Caucasus in the east, up to Crimea in the north and to the south, restored Roman rule in Northern Syria. The Macedonian Resurgence happened thanks to this three emperors, Nikephoros II Phokas, John I Tzimiskes and of course, Basil II "Bulgar-Slayer".
However, after Basil's death in 1025. The empire went into decline as the Themata(theme) System(a military system where recruits receive a piece of land in exchange of military service) was left neglected and instead, emperors began investing mercenaries, becoming too-reliant on them. Other factors of the decline include civil strife, mismanagement, rebellions and many others. The Battle of Manzikert severely weakened Byzantine hegemony in Anatolia and later, the Seljuq Turks started taking Anatolia from the Romans.
After the disaster at Manzikert, Gen. Alexios I Komnenos usurped the throne from Nikephoros III and proclaimed himself "Emperor and Autokrat of the Romans", inheriting a collapsing empire because the kebabs and the Normans started taking their clay, Alexios' military energy managed to save the empire ultimately and started the final golden age of Nova Roma, known as "Komnenian Restoration". The Komnenian Dynasty was also the last great dynasty to rule over the Byzantine Empire. His successor, John II Komnenos, managed to recover Southern Turkey up to bits of Northern Syria while in the north, managed to link up again with Trebizond. He also managed to reconquer parts of Caucasus and revassalise the Balkans and the Kingdom of Hungary. His successor, Manuel I Komnenos, commenced another series of succesful campaigns against the Turks and the Hungarians, although suffered a crushing defeat at Myriokephalon(1176) .
After Manuel's death in 1181, Nova Roma entered a state of decline and turmoil. In 1185, they lost Bulgaria again to 2 nobles, Peter and Asen, who established Second Bulgarian Empireball. Later, a dynasty known as Angeloi, was raised in the Imperial Purple and were notoriously known for being the shittiest rulers in Byzantine history aside Phocas. In 1204, the Crusaders sacked the Basileuousa, since the city contained vast amounts of ancient and medieval works, they were all destroyed and many lose their homes. The sacking gained controversy and reduced the power of the Byzantines, the Crusaders later established the Latin Empire which composed of Thrace and Constantinople itself. The Byzantine Empire itself was divided into 3 parts, namely Empire of Trebizond, Empire of Nicaea and Despotate of Epirus, with some Crusaders declaring their own kingdoms separate from the Latin Empire, the most notable of this is the Kingdom of Thessalonica.
In 1261, the Nicaeans finally recaptured Constantinople through a secret passage leading to the city. Emperor Michael VIII Paleologus set out to reunite the former Byzantine territories which included Greece, Cyprus and Northern Anatolia. Under its rule, the empire experienced a brief recovery. However, after its death, its new clay started being invaded by the Ottoman Turks and Serbians. During John V's reign, the empire only consisted of some parts of Morea(Peloponnesus), some islands, Epirus, Trebizond and Constantinople itself. Under Manuel II, the empire managed to recover whole of Morea but in 1453, the Ottomans captured the Queen of Cities, marking the end of Byzantine Empire and its remnant states.
- SPQRball - My stronk and big parent. I wanna revive its old glory days and avenge it from those barbaric assholes!
- Greeceball - My Descendant. It is very poor now and in debt. It needs a lot of money 💰 💴 💵.
- Serbiaball - My adoptive child and vow enforcer to remove all kebab (he also has my flag on its coat of arms). Its ancestor was my enemy though.
- Russiaball - Heir to the legacy of
kebab removingEastern Orthodoxy, and it considered itself as the next Rome.
- Western Roman Empireball - It was my sibling/ally before getting killed by Germaniaball.
- Empire of Nicaeaball - Hero who helped me kill Latin Empireball and resurrected me.
- Republic of Genoaball - It helped me in my final battle against kebab! I thank it for that.
- Galatiaball - Celt from Noricum who decided to be Hellenic.
- Gokturkball - Non-kebab Turkic friend who hates Persia too. But I hate its Evil descendant!
- Ghassanidsball - good
buffer statefriend. sadly it have been killed by it
- Ayyubidball - I'm sorry for battling yuo. Cause Salahuddin was a wise leader. Yuo are one of good kebabs. When the crusader failed to conquer Jerusalem, yuo still allow them to pray there. May God bless yuo and thanks for returning St Sepulchre's key to me.
- Timurid Empireball - Thanks for repelling the Ottoman for a few years.
- Kingdom of Aksumball- My African Orthodox sibling. The Lihebella church was beautiful and constructed and extremely holy!! I respect that.
- Kievan Rusball - At first we were rivals and it even raided Constantinople but I stopped it dead in its tracks multiple times with flamethrowers. It was so impressed that it begged to be adopted. I taught it how to be of good Jesus loving child and made it literate. It was my best trading partner for a while and served as my bodyguard in my times of need. It got really angry and jealous whenever I tried talking with the West though. In hindsight I think it was right to not trust them...
- Taugastball - Thank you for all the silk brought to the Empire. You are good at treating neck swelling and punishing criminals and you are good at making nice containers, clocks, silk, architecture, and exploding shooty things. Maybe... just maybe... you are civilized... as me. No SCRATCH THAT! You are civilized. That's why I made an embassy in Τσανγκάν (Tsan’nkán) (Chang'an). If you weren't civilized I would do no such thing. You have an embassy in my empire too. We are good trading partners. Also thanks for giving rice.
- Kebab - BLOOD-THIRSTY HUNGRY MUSLIM JIHADI! WORST AND MOST EVIL ARCH-ENEMY! HE STOLE MY SWEET AND CUTE CONSTANTINOPLE! I DON'T CARE IF YOU GO AGAINST THE CRUSADER STATE THAT WOUNDED MY CONSTANTINOPLE!!! 1453 WORST YEAR OF MY LIFE!!!!!!! AND I STILL HATE YOU DESPITE BEING THAT! REMOVE KEBAB!!! REMOVE JIHAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Sassanidball - This MANBIRD ruined the 7th century. And it was my main enemy in middle east. At the start of the war, I lost heavy to it, even Jerusalem almost fell to it. I defeafed him in the end and I still want to keep my clay.
- Hunball - He came here and took clay from Germaniaball and me. This forced Germaniaball to take clay from SPQRball.
- Visigothic Kingdomball - I tried and failed to invade it, it of beings anschlussed by kebab soon anyways.
- Germaniaball - It killed My parent and My sibling then it became an impostor of SPQRball.
- Rashidunball - Pls of stop taking Syriaball and Egyptball! And I hate kebabs! This kebab also ruined the 7th century! BTW, Thanks for removing this MANBIRD WORSHIPPER. But you are even worse than them! REMOVE THIS IDIOT SMELLY CALIPH KEBAB FROM PREMISES!!! NEVER FORGET BATTLE OF YARMOUK, SIEGE OF BABYLONIA FORTRESS, AND BATTLE OF MASTS!!!
- Umayyadball - This kebab has tried to besiege Constantinople but failed. Hahahaha...!!! But its revenge was avenged by ! @#$%^&* kebab! !@#$%^&*!!!!
- Seljukball - AAAH! STOP ATTACKING ME YUO KEBAB!!! IF YUO WANT INTO CONQUER JERUSALEM, STOP DRIVING OUT THE NON MUSLIM!!! Of course I know Crusaders took Jerusalem and killed your people and I HATE CRUSADER LESS THAN KEBAB!!! ALSO 1071AD NEVER FORGET YOU ARRGOANT GOATSHIT BITCHTATOR!!!
- Bagratid Armeniaball - Stole all its clay and didn't leave enough soldiers to defend it afterwards, leaving it open for kebab invasion. Oops!
- Holy Roman Empireball - IMPOSTOR! But also helped with crusades and was one of the leading forces with the Papal States who went to destroy me and you did not even avenge me. I see you never changed your barbaric Germanic ways.
- Republic of Veniceball - Ruined me for good! It also raped my people!
- Crusaders - You traitors! We could've removed Kebab together but instead you had to plunder my resources and people and weaken me, allowing for the Ottomans to take me out earlier you are the reason for Kebab and you are descended from those filthy German barbarians
- Latin Empireball - Evil Catholics that stole my glorious city of Constantinople. He is another impostor!!!
- Kievan Rusball (Formerly) - We used to fight a lot and he even sieged Constantinople. But he got better later on when it converted to Orthodoxy, adopted the Cyrillic alphabet (That we invented for it) and some of its warriors served as elite guards for my emperors.
- Serbian Empireball - You kept attacking me and taking my clay. But our descendants are best of friends though.
- First Bulgarian Empireball - It was even worse than its child! Took a lot of my European clay and nearly took Constantinople...922 NEVER FORGET! YUO WERE VERY HARD TO REMOVE UNTIL 1018!
- Second Bulgarian Empireball - Stop revolting and stealing my clay! You are of Byzantineball!
- Pope Innocentius III - !@#$%^&* POPE!!! WHATS THE REASON YUO TRY TO RAIDING ME?!!! JUST BECAUSE YUOR !@#$%^&* CRUSADERS DIDNT HAVE MONEY WHEN THE VENICE TRADERS SERVE THEM?!!! AND THE VENICE TOLD YUOR CRUSADER TO RAID ME?!!! PREPARE YUOR MONEY FIRST BEFORE YUOR CRUSADER GO TO EGYPT!!! AND YUO SHOULD CONQUER JERUSALEM, NOT RAIDING MY CLAY!!
- Plague of Justinian/Bubonic Plague - ΕΙΝΑΙ ΠΕΡΙΣΣΟΤΕΡΑ ΜΑΘΗΜΑ ΜΟΥ ΜΟΥ ΜΠΟΡΕΙ ΤΟ ΠΟΛΟ Ελπίζω ΠΟΤΕ ΕΠΙΣΤΡΟΦΗ ΑΠΟΚΑΤΑΣΤΗΣΤΕ ΑΥΤΟ ΤΟ ΣΚΥΛΟ ΩΣ ΠΛΑΓΑ ΑΦΑΙΡΕΣΤΕ ΤΗΝ ΑΦΑΙΡΕΣΗ!! YUO KILLED 50 MILLION PEOPLE AND MANY OF MY PEOPLE! REMOVE PLAGUE! REMOVE PLAGUE! GO TO HELL AND NEVER COMEBACK YOU MURDERER!
How to Draw
Drawing Byzantiumball is rather confusing considering the amount of possible designs you can chose from, but the most common is:
- Draw a circle colored red
- Draw a cross colored gold
- Since you drew a gold cross, the red circle is separated into quadrants, in those quadrants, draw the Greek letter "B" in gold. On the left quadrants, make them face the opposite direction
- Draw two eyes and you're done!