It is the capital of Côte d'Or department in east central Franceball and is located at the junction of the Suzon and Ouche rivers about 270 km (168 mi) southeast of Parisball.
It has a Burgundy Canal connecting it with the Asone River and with the rivers of the Paris Basin. Dijon is located in a rich agricultural area in the northern end of the famous wines of Bourgogne district. Cassis, a black currant liqueur, originated there, as did mustard. Dijonball has a large printing industry and manufactures electrical and optical equipment and pharmaceuticals. It contains many art treasures and renowned buildings such as the museum of Beaux-Arts included in the Palace of the Ducs de Bourgogne. Wood-frame merchants' houses remain from the 15th and 16th centuries as well as two fine churches dating from the 13th century. Notre Dame, begun in 1229, is an excellent example of Burgundian Gothic architecture and has a well-preserved, elaborately carved exterior. The university was established in 1722. Saint-Michel church (15th-16th centuries) is a mixture of Gothic and Renaissance architecture.
The site was first settled as a Roman camp, and Dijonball became the capital of Burgundyball in 1016, supplanting Lyonball and Chalonball. It came back under the control of the French crown in the 15th century after being the central place commanding the Burgundian states.
Dijon was occupied by the Germans during World War II and liberated on the 10th September of 1944 by the French troops who landed in Provence and upped to the north.